The first meeting of
Kirkcolm Community Council
Wednesday 18 November 2015 at 7pm
in Kirkcolm Village Hall
|Present||Malcolm Baker, Community Councillor
Thomas Cochrane, Community Councillor
Susan Irons, Community Councillor
Dr Peter Joiner, Community Councillor
Sara McCulloch, Community Councillor
Ian Morral, Community Councillor
Iain Dick, Elected Member – Stranraer and North Rhins
Mrs Stella Jefferson Member of the Public
Carrie White Member of the Public
R W Rankin Member of the Public
Bobby McKie Kirkcolm Bowling Club
E McGregor Kirkcolm Nursery
|Apologies||Willie Scobie – Elected Member – Stranraer and North Rhins
Marion McCutcheon – Elected Member – Stranraer and North Rhins
|Officials||Wendy Jesson, DGC, on behalf of the Returning Officer
Wendy Jesson chaired the meeting.
- SEDERUNT AND APOLOGIES FOR ABSENSE
Wendy welcomed everyone to the meeting and noted apologies as listed above.
- CONSIDER THE APPOINTMENT OF THE CHAIRPERSON
AGREED that Ian Morral be appointed as Chairperson, proposed by Sara McCulloch.
- CONSIDER THE APPOINTMENT OF THE VICE-CHAIRPERSON
AGREED that Sara McCulloch be appointed as Vice-Chairperson, proposed by Thomas Cochrane.
- CONSIDER THE APPOINTMENT OF THE SECRETARY
AGREED that Susan Irons be appointed as Secretary, proposed by Sara McCulloch.
- CONSIDER THE APPOINTMENT OF THE TREASURER
AGREED that Karl Jackson Barnes be appointed as Treasurer, proposed by Ian Morral.
(Karl is not a member of the Community Council but can undertake this role).
- CONSIDER THE APPOINTMENT OF THE EXAMINER(S) OF ACCOUNTS
AGREED that Wilma Swan would be appointed as the Examiner of Accounts. Wilma would be requested by a member of the Community Council to again undertake this role if she was happy to do so.
- CONSIDER THE APPOINTMENT OF ANY OFFICE BEARER OR EMPLOYEES
Karl Jackson Barnes was appointed as the Treasurer for the Community Council. Ian would forward on Karl’s contact details to pass onto Fiona & Wilma. Karl does not require to be appointed as a member of the Community Council to hold this role.
- CONSIDER THE CO-OPTION OF VOTING & NON-VOTING MEMBERS IN TERMS OF PARAGRAPH 4.1 (C) OF THE SCHEME FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF COMMUNITY COUNCILS IN DUMFRIES & GALLOWAY
NONE at present.
- CONSIDER THE APPOINTMENT OF ANY COMMITTEES
NONE at present.
- CONSIDER THE PRODUCTION OF CERTIFIED STATEMENT OF ASSETS AND LIABILITIES OF FORMER COMMUNITY COUNCIL
NONE required at this time.
- CONSIDER PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE COVER
NOTED that Public Liability Insurance was already provided by Dumfries and Galloway Council. Wendy provided additional information in relation to how to access additional insurance for events & activities which would not normally be covered under the Standard Insurance Cover. Also detailed was the company which provide this cover – Keegan & Pennykid.
- CONSIDER REQUEST TO DUMFRIES & GALLOWAY COUNCIL FOR ADMINISTRATIVE GRANT FOR THE CURRENT FINANCIAL YEAR ENDING 31 Mach 2016
AGREED that Kirkcolm Community Council Treasurer have now submitted their application for the Administrative Grant.
- CONSIDER ARRANGEMENTS FOR DRAWING UP A CONSTITUTION IN TERMS OF PARAGRAPH 12.1 OF THE SCHEME FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF COMMUNITY COUNCILS IN DUMFRIES & GALLOWAY
DEFERRED to a future Special General Meeting of the Community Council and NOTED that
the signed constitution should be returned to Dumfries and Galloway Council by 22 January 2016.
NOTED – The myriad of issues linked to the completion of the last Signed Constitution and the fact that it had to be returned to Dumfries & Galloway Council several times. Query raised in relation to whether or not this new Constitution was the correct, final version which was confirmed by Wendy. Request for additional copies to be sent onto each member of the Community Council so that they could view this prior to the meeting to agree this. Wendy confirmed that she would forward on a copy to each Member.
- ANY OTHER COMPETENT BUSINESS
Christmas Lights Switch On & Children’s Party
- Agreed that the Community council would organise this event again for this year.
- Jean would be asked if the plastic cup holders could be borrowed for this event.
- Hot Chocolate would be prepared in the slow cooker with a recipe which Sarah had been provided with.
- Fancy Dress – agreed that the CC Members would wear Christmas Themed Jumpers at this event – fancy dress would not be required for this year.
Children’s Craft Supplies
- Sara asked if the supplies of the Children’s Craft products were still stored within the Hall. Carrie confirmed that they had been stored below the stage & she would retrieve these & bring them up to Sara.
- Wendy would arrange to meet with Ian to review the Community Resilience Plan & then forward copies onto all of the new Team Members.
- Malcolm highlighted the issues that had been dealt with in relation to Foundation Scotland and the proposal for the further dissemination of the funding to other non-community council organisations.
- Also discussed was the disappointment at the way in which Dumfries & Galloway Council had dealt with the Larbrax Windfarm Planning Application and the issues at the Planning Committee which members of Kirkcolm Community Council had attended. This directly contradicts the future key role which Community Councils have in relation to the Community Empowerment Bill.
- That McNabb Laurie, Windfarm Community Benefit Funding Officer from D & G Council had been an excellent help through this process & that he is continuing to assist the CC in all matters in relation to Windfarm Funding.
- That discussions are on-going with an another Windfarm Company in relation to securing future funding.
Gritting of Church Road at Kirkcolm
- Query raised as to why this was no longer gritted when winter weather occurred. Wendy would send on the details of the Winter Treatment Routes and also check with Colin Forbes in relation to this particular road.
Visibility at Entrance & Exit to Soleburn Garden Centre
- Noted that Mark McFern from Police Scotland had been contacted in relation to this issue which could potentially cause serious road accidents due to the speed of the vehicles both turning into & pulling out of this junction.
- Enquiries would again be made to request that the visibility be increased with the cutting back of the hedges at this area.
Repair of Paths
- Query in relation to the on-going maintenance required to repair the paths – Wendy would contact Simon Fieldhouse, Ranger Services, D & G Council to request that he contact the Community Council for more details on this issue.
15.1 CCES REPRESENTATIVE
AGREED that Susan would be the CCES Representative and also that Members of the Community Council would continue to submit queries through their Elected Members for resolution.
- FIX DATES, TIMES AND LOCATION FOR ORDINARY MEETINGS OF THE COMMUNITY COUNCIL
AGREED that meetings of Kirkcolm Community Council would be held Bi-Monthly on the 2nd Wednesday at 6.30pm in Kirkcolm Village Hall. Noted the change of time to begin the meetings to ensure that all Members can attend.
- DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY COUNCIL INDUCTION
NOTED the Induction Training given by Wendy Jesson and the Welcome Folder given to the Secretary of the Community Council for reference which gave information on all issues covered by the Induction Training.